In January, one of my good friends challenged me to envision what I wanted out of my life for 2016. There are plenty of things I want to do, but I’ve never established a timeline for actually getting them done…until this year.
2016 is the perfect time for me to do this. I work. I volunteer. I work. I volunteer. I work. I volunteer. Now, I feel like I have to maintain a balance and do some things to reward myself and to further enrich my life.
So, what am I going to do? Here’s my list:
- Gain more knowledge: Whether this new newly acquired knowledge or skill will help me in my career or just be something that I can use personally, I’m going to learn something new.
- Pay off credit card debt: I don’t just want to decrease the amount of money I owe. I want to pay off my debt, owe nothing, have a $0 balance. I want freedom.
- Plan an international trip: I’ve been to several states for some R&R, and I once took a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. I have this passport that I’ve only used one time, and I need to use it again before it expires. Where shall I go?
- Get in better physical shape: Last year, I would go to the gym on a regular basis, and I was brave enough to rock a bikini after having toned my body from working out. I’ve slipped, and my body has suffered. It’s time to improve my health and get back in shape!
- Read for pleasure: There was a time when I’d buy a book a month and read it. I have no clue what happened. I love reading. It’s a great way for me to escape. So, I’m going to read more this year.
- Attend a professional sports game: I’ve only been to high school and college games, so it’s time for me to step it up and enjoy the NFL, NBA, or MLB in D.C., Charlotte, or Atlanta…or maybe even Dallas!
- Attend more concerts: I love music, and I truly enjoy attending live performances. Mostly, I go to hip-hop shows, but this year I’m going to enjoy some jazz and R&B, too.
- Attend more cultural events: I want to take the time to appreciate the arts, learn more about history, and experience different cultures. Not that I’m sheltered–I just want to be exposed to a lot more.
Here it is…I’ve laid out my 8 goals for 2016. This is going to be a lot of fun. I’ve already started tackling some of things I’ve set out to do, and I can’t wait to get going on ALL of them. When it’s time to look back on this year, I’m going to be so proud of all that I accomplished. Go, me!